Glenna's Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wed, July 21st

Yesterday was awesome/inspiring/difficult/and powerful. The Kohl family and friends traveled to Boston to attend the Public Health Committee hearing of the Senate bill #903 for new tanning bed legislation. If any of you are not familiar with this proposed bill, please see the information on the melanoma foundation website: http://www.mfne.org

The hearing covered six new bills, so there was alot of waiting around and listening to others fight their causes. But when it was our turn, first Sen. Jim Timilty - who created the new bill - spoke passionately about the importance of this passing. This is his 3rd attempt - and as they say, 3rd times a charm, and I feel this may be a charming attempt. Then Deb Girard (the director of the MFNE) and Marty Cohn (director of Dermatology Assoc) spoke. After that it was our turn - Aunt Jeanne and I took turns giving our speeches and trying to be as composed as we could (it wasn't easy). But I think we did pretty good job and the crowd was silenced when we finished. The chairman of the committee (Rep. Sanchez) gave us an extended silent period and then thanked our family for coming and sharing our important story with them. And then it was the Town of Barnstable's turn. Patty Machado and the head lifeguard (I'm sorry, I've forgotten his name) both gave wonderful speeches about Glenna and how important sun safety and the risks of tanning are. About 15 other lifeguards-all dressed in their town reds-surrounded them as they spoke. It was more than powerful and made quite a statement to the committee. There was one final speaker testifying for the bill. I'm sorry I don't remember his name either (I was pretty shook up) but he was from Easton (i think) and he brought his granddaughter, whose mother had battled melanoma and is doing well. He gave some very important facts and words which gave a final punch to the day.

When it was over, it was time for the opposition to speak, and guess what! No one did. We're pretty sure there were folks there that were opposed to the bill - but I don't think anyone had the guts to get up and say so. Awesome! We were greeted by several strangers who thanked us for coming and told us what it meant to them to hear our story (her story). Even Chairman Sanchez came up and thanked us for being there.

We got some great pics of the whole group together before we left - which I hope to post on Glenna's website soon. It really was an amazing day - and I will be truly surprised if this bill does not pass this time. It was not an easy thing to do, but I kept asking Glenna to help me through it and do a good job for her - and she did. And I know she was looking down on all of us and smiling and saying thank you. Glenna - we're not done yet, honey. In fact, its only the beginning. I love you!

5 Comments:

  • At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You were all AMAZING yesterday! <3<3<3

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Erin Cabral said…

    You all are amazing...love you all!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is Kim,
    I'm guulty of not keeping in touch enough but I want to say, I love you guys!! I've been reading your blogs ( while I should be working) I admire all the work your doing to keep Glenna's spirit alive. Grief is such a horrendous process and your strength is inspiring. I think the quotes are such a great idea, it occured to me you should write a book. "Glenna's story".... Seriously you both write quite well and the quotes are so powerful; they really give insight into Glenna's personality.
    Well, before I get into trouble, I just want to give you my email so you will put me on the list for updates about the "ball". It is cuestick101@hotmail.com. I really, really want to help and my work will give a donation for the raffle/auction. Just need letterhead.
    Love Ya,
    Kim

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a truly inspirational family!! =)

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amazing. And the thought of those guards standing with Patti brings tears to my eyes.

    Love you all!

    MZ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home