Glenna's Blog

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Bethesda, Maryland

Thursday, October 4th
Here we are - Glenna, Cap'n Bob and MK - down in Maryland at the NIH. We arrived yesterday and Glenna went through a myriad of forms, tests and prepatory work to ready her for her first event - surgery this morning on her torso to remove her largest, most uncomfortable tumor. She went through the surgery like a trouper - back in her room within 3 hours, and walking very slowly an hour after that. She's quite sore and they tell her she will be more sore tomorrow; but then it will get better. Unfortunately, she has to have a colonoscopy tomorrow, because they found that she did receive the MLX drug after all, and this could have caused some issues in her colon. They have to check to make sure the colon is clear of any inflammation or colitis before they can give her the go-ahead for her treatment. So after a tough morning, she has to prep herself tonight for this procedure (which, if any of you have had, will know the prep is no fun!).

If all goes as planned, and she is feeling OK, we will be returning home on Saturday evening. Then she will be coming back down here mid October (either the 12th or the 14th) to check in for the beginning of her treatment. The first phase of treatment begins on Monday, 10/15. She will go through several different phases of this treatment that will last until early to mid November. I will keep you posted on the details along the way, as there is too much to put down at one time.

I will say that this facility is amazing. The institute is massive and top of the line, and the doctors and staff are fantastic. It's like being at the United Nations! Her surgeon was so great today, and the team of research doctors who will be attending to her throughout this treatment are brilliant (and so nice). And you should see the family lodge that Bob & I are staying at - beautiful. It's like being a guest in someone's mansion - huge state of the art kitchen, exercise room, massage chairs, computer room, library, elevators and beautiful bedrooms. And the best part is - it's all free!

Well, as I write this both Glenna and Bob are snoozing behind me (Glenna is on morphine, I don't know what Bob's excuse is!!!) - but maybe I will join them. Our love to you all, and I will keep you posted on her progress often.

Love, Mama K.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to hear you're being so well cared for - by the doctors and accomodations alike. Thinking of you a lot - this will be just what your boooody needed. Go body go.

    love you.
    L.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love to all of you as well, wishing we knew how to help, always hoping for the silver lining, and knowing our collective prayers are being answered by your angel scientists and surgeons at NIH.
    Hugs and kisses,
    BBKR

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Andrew Benitez said…

    Our prayers are with you Glenna. Keep holding strong like you have been.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Glenna, colleen and Bobby: We just want you to know that you are in our hearts and prayers constantly. We love you all so very much. I guess that we are going to miss you once again as we arrive in R.I. on Oct. l5th. If you need me in Maryland let me know. I will be there as fast as possible. We love you all so. Love, cathie

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Our prayers are with you Glenna. Wish we could be closer so we could come visit. The kids all say hi and we miss you. Love Christine and family.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knew there was a reason I had Glenna so much on my mind today! I am thinking of her great strength and amazing ability to endure that I know will serve her well through this. Remember - anything you need down there - whistle!
    Love you all. Tedski

     

Post a Comment

<< Home