Glenna's Blog

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tuesday, August 4th

Lauren Shiraka has entered a blog contest in an effort to raise awareness around the dangers of tanning. The winner of this blog contest has a choice between a $500 donation to the Melanoma Research Foundation in their name or a $500 Visa Gift Card. If Lauren wins, she has offered to donate the proceeds to the Glenna Kohl Fund for Hope. Please post your comment for support for Lauren's wonderful piece below to help her win this beneficial contest. Thank you for your continued support:


Intervention time for nation’s “tanorexics”

“How does my stomach look?” asks my younger sister Cara, lifting up her shirt to reveal her flat, tanned abs. Before I can reply, she pinches her bronzed skin and grimaces, letting out a long sigh of disgust before muttering, “I’m so pale. I need to go tanning.”
Unlike my sister, who carries a set of protective goggles in her purse, I’ve never set foot in a tanning salon. However, being a member of the generation that inspired the term “tanorexia,” I’m certainly not immune to tan envy. I’ll admit that when I was younger, and more susceptible to the “bronzed is beautiful” adage, I would spend hours laying out in my backyard, disdaining sunscreen as only a hindrance.
My quest for the perfect tan ended very abruptly at the age of 18, when my mother announced to the family that she had Stage I Melanoma, one of the deadliest forms of skin cancer. Flipping through magazines and watching television, I had seen all the skin safety PSA’s, but before my mother’s diagnosis, I had never considered skin cancer as a “real” cancer. Seeing the large, deeply indented scar on my mother’s leg where the cancer was removed quickly became a constant reminder of how sincerely wrong I was. And in later months, when my mother experienced several scares concerning the cancer spreading to her lymph nodes, melanoma became both real and terrifying to me.
Our family’s brush with melanoma did not have the same effect on my younger sister, however. Instead of cutting back, my sister became a full-fledged “tanorexic.” As my sister progressed to new more frightening shades of orange, I tried my best to dissuade her bad habit. But, with constant positive reinforcement from her fellow bronzed best friends, it was no use.
According to Steven E. Zimmet, MD of Zimmet Vein & Dermatology, Austin, Texas and an advisor to dermanetwork.org, (http://www.dermanetwork.org/) my sister and her friends are still at-risk for contracting melanoma despite their youth. “People, including young people, die every day from melanoma,” said Zimmet. “There is strong evidence that exposure to UV radiation during indoor tanning increases the risk of melanoma, especially when that exposure occurs at an early age.”
Teenage girls are largely unaware that melanoma is the most common cancer among women aged 25 to 32, and that they too are susceptible. Glenna Kohl was diagnosed with Stage III Melanoma just after graduating from Salve Regina College at the age of 22. A self-described “sun enthusiast,” Kohl didn’t truly comprehend the consequences of unprotected, overexposure to sunlight until she began her own battle with skin cancer. In a speech about her disease, Kohl once said that she knew that tanning could be harmful to her, but ignored the sentiment, considering the ritual her “one indulgence.” Sadly, Kohl lost her life just four years after her diagnosis, making her one of 10,000 individuals to lose the fight with melanoma every year.
Without being personally affected by skin cancer, it’s easy to understand why some young girls continue to expose themselves to harmful UV light. For them, improved appearance and acceptance may triumph over the seemingly not so serious threat of skin cancer. But, recently, I’ve begun to wonder why many teenage girls, like my sister, continue to tan despite fully understanding its potentially deadly consequences.
In recent years, researchers have addressed the same query, and have come to classify frequent tanning as “tanning dependence,” an addictive behavior similar to alcoholism or drug addiction. Researchers have found that many tanners could be described as addicts through studies using CAGE questionnaires, which evaluate an individual’s level of addiction according to whether they can cut-down the behavior, become annoyed when unable to perform the behavior, feel guilty for continuing the behavior, or continue the behavior despite having an eye-opening experience. Such research suggests that UV light itself may have addictive qualities, and may explain why PSA’s aren’t enough to keep U.S. teenagers out of tanning beds.
However, my sister and her friends may soon find it harder to keep up their routines at the tanning salon. More than 20 states have legislation pending about restricting tanning bed usage. In March of 2009, Arkansas and Mississippi signed into law new legislation to restrict access for minors under 14 to tanning salons. Thanks to friends and family of Glenna Kohl, similar legislation is being considered in Massachusetts, and if approved, may soon make it harder to own and operate a tanning salon as well as to partake in its services.
Lauren Wright, director of dermanetwork.org, ( http://www.dermanetwork.org/) is in full support of the pending legislation: “These laws are needed to stem the tide of sun damage and the potential for more serious skin cancer diagnosis,” she said. “The term ‘killer tan’ could have a whole new meaning for this generation.”
In the mean time, we must continue to educate our friends, family and younger sisters about the serious ramifications of overexposure to UV light. With growing evidence to legitimate tanorexia or tanning dependence as a true addiction, it’s time for a national intervention.

For more information about skin cancer and the fight to restrict tanning bed usage, check out “Term Killer Tan Could Have New Meaning, Say Experts” on dermanetwork.org. http://www.dermanetwork.org/news/news_details.asp?ID=550

For more facts about melanoma, head to: www.melanomafoundationne.org.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks for writing this. In Junior High, I was nicknamed "Casper" because of my pale skin. With such a deep desire to be liked by others, I focused on getting tan. Later in life, I realized what's "attractive" is something different and the people I hang around with today see me for who I am, not for the tone of my skin.

    At times in our lives, we'll do things that compromise our values (like health) to meet a higher need of "love" from others. I understand why people do it, however, it's great that folks like you care to take the time to bring awareness to subjects like this and help others to see the "light" in a new way (not from the tanning bed!)

    Jon Vroman
    PS. Keep living life in the front Row!

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bon chance. I applaud what you are doing to bring awareness to this terrible disease. Having lost multiple family members to this, it is all too close to home. Again, good luck.
    Bruce

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Meg Toland said…

    What resonates with me in your post Lauren is the point you make about the lack of true awareness until it hits someone close to you.

    I was first exposed to this form of cancer when my best friend from home called to tell me that her sister Morgan (21 years old at the time) had been diagnosed with melanoma. After a tough battle, Morgan sadly passed away. Glenna Kohl (mentioned in above post) was my college roommate and one of my best friends. When we found out shortly after graduation that Glenna had been diagnosed with melanoma, it became real to me that the disease was much more than a genetic coincidence. Like so many young women, both Glenna and Morgan frequented tanning salons.

    They say that once you are personally exposed to something, it starts to show up more and more all around you. Since this cancer was first introduced to me, I have watched three amazing woman loose their battle to melanoma and one young man. Meanwhile, I continue to watch friends and acquaintances frequent tanning salons.

    What truly saddens me is that so many of these individuals, especially those who are still developing both mentally and physically, lack a true understanding of how serious and common this disease has become.

    Thinking back to when I was in high school, I can remember sneaking to the tanning salon with my girlfriends to get our “fix” before the school dance. If our mothers and fathers had known what we were up to, they would have freaked out. If there was a law in place to prevent us from going without parental sign-off, tanning for me and many of my friends would not have been an option. Years later, knowing what I know today, I would turn and thank my parents for being “the bad guys”.

    Thanks for spreading the awareness Lauren.

    Meg(Tuni)

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for putting into words the importance of protecting the only skin we have!

    We've got to make sure the the younger generations do not continue thinking that damaging the skin's most vital organ is not healthy even if celebrities and the popular crowd says it is.

    Love the skin you're in!!!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Bailey Wasserman said…

    Thank you Lauren for your inspiring words and dedication to the cause. From what I know of Glenna she had a heart of gold, and Im sure she would want nothing more than to prevent others from going through the horrific experience she dealt with. To know that legislation is being considered that will help limit UV exposure to our youth pleases me to no end. Lets not let skin Cancer steal anymore of our friends, family or loved ones. Thank you again Lauren for being an advocate for the prevention of this deadly and heart breaking disease.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Emma said…

    Thanks for your words Lauren. Many of my female friends go tanning and they ignore the fact that it's incredibly dangerous. I'm so glad that you are working to raise awareness of the devastating effects of melanoma and the importance of protecting our bodies from sun damage.

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for writing this heartfelt article. We truly need control in the tanning salons for young people. Decision making is not always clear and rational at young ages, and vanity prevails most of the time. It is not until later in life that one realizes what is important. By that time the potential damage has already occurred and cannot be reversed. I too knew and loved Glenna, and have had Melanoma touch two other important people in my life. Thank you for your quest to bring public awareness to this deadly disease and its potential causes.
    Gayle Rosewell

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post- Many of my friends tan a lot, especially during the winter being in New England. It's scary how common skin cancer has become.

    Jenny

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Melody said…

    This is so true. As a rising female college senior, I am surrounded by girls who are constantly going tanning. I personally never need to go tanning since I tan extremely easy, so much that sunscreen is my best friend. But I have friends who cannot accept that some people just don't tan, and it really doesn't make them any less beautiful. In fact, sometimes, extreme tans are awful looking, and some girls really just don't have the complexion to be tan. They look better pale.

    Thank you for writing this article. Not only is tanning horrid for your skin, it is not always the more beautiful choice. Girls need to realize that they should work with what they were given--that and their charming personalities is more than enough to make them stand out in a crowd. No amount of Hollywood tan is going to change that.

    People write off skin cancer because it's not lung cancer, or some other type of cancer. We hear about skin cancer much less than we do other fatal diseases, and I think that makes people brush it off, maybe even forget it.

    Keep up the skin cancer awareness. I think it's one cancer people aren't aware enough about.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post - it is scary how mainstream tanning has become for young adults. Thank you for continuing to raise awareness in the fight against melanoma - I'm sure Glenna is very proud!

    Erika

     

Post a Comment

<< Home