March 19, 2007
I can't believe it's been one month since I've updated this blog - but that just means that things have been on an even keel since the last entry. And it's been pretty busy around here lately. Will arrived home from Iraq on March 8 and Glenna has been pretty happy ever since. It's been wonderful to see him, and it's been so great to see her so happy again. Will has been very busy visiting with all his fans, but they've been having a good time. He will be here through this week, leaving sometime by the end of next weekend. The other good thing to happen recently was Glenna got a puppy - a cockapoo...probably the cutest little dog I've ever seen. Her name is Marilyn (you like that, Tedi?) Actually, she is named after Monroe, not Carberry (sorry). She is the best dog and Glenna loves her to death. It's been a wonderful thing for Glenna to have this adorable, needy little creature to take care of and love. And Marilyn really loves Glenna (of course, who wouldn't?). So we've have a very active household again and it's great.
Glenna had her first infusion on the clinical trial last Tuesday, March 13th - and it was wonderful that she had Will there with her for that first experience. It was a very long day. Will and Glenna stayed the night before and Bob & I met them early in the morning. After a visit with Dr. Lawrence for a general check up and "prep" talk, we settled in to her private room where she was prepped and poked several times before they could find a suitable vein for her IV (always a problem for Glenna). But that may have been the worst part of the day. The infusion itself took 1 1/2 hours and then when that was done, she got 4 shots in her legs for the 2nd phase of the treatment- which was pretty painful for her. Then, an hour of waiting to make sure she did not have any immediate adverse reactions, they finally let her go about 4pm. She felt pretty good after the ordeal and other than some stomach issues, has not had any bad side effects. So one down, three to go. She will have these infusions every three weeks - four in all. During each session, they check her vitals every half hour and make sure everything is going OK. They also draw blood for testing. But they do not plan to do another scan until the last treatment ends - unless of course she has any physical problems that warrant checking out. We're hoping she gets through all the treatments with little discomfort - but of course, we also hope she has some reaction, so we know it's doing something. And we know it will. Third time's a charm!
So we go onward and upward. Glenna has been keeping up with her exercise, yoga and swimming. She looks great. She and Will and Bob and I are all going up to Dover next Friday to spend a night and take Jacob out to The Dunaway (the restaurant where he works) to celebrate his 21st!!!!! birthday. His b-day is not until Monday, but we'll celebrate while Will is still here and can join in the fun. Jake has a week off from school the week after his b-day and is going to Hawaii to visit Colleen (his girlfriend). And then life goes back to normal. Will, unfortunately will be leaving us to return to hell - but only until August when he comes home for good. THAT will be a happy day. And there will be other happy days ahead - and celebrations will be had - so be prepared to party with us again someday soon.
I hope all of you out there reading this are happy and healthy, and I know you are all sending your love and prayers to Glenna - don't ever stop. I will send out another update after her next treatment. Send your comments - she loves to hear from you all.
Until later, Love from M.K.
Glenna had her first infusion on the clinical trial last Tuesday, March 13th - and it was wonderful that she had Will there with her for that first experience. It was a very long day. Will and Glenna stayed the night before and Bob & I met them early in the morning. After a visit with Dr. Lawrence for a general check up and "prep" talk, we settled in to her private room where she was prepped and poked several times before they could find a suitable vein for her IV (always a problem for Glenna). But that may have been the worst part of the day. The infusion itself took 1 1/2 hours and then when that was done, she got 4 shots in her legs for the 2nd phase of the treatment- which was pretty painful for her. Then, an hour of waiting to make sure she did not have any immediate adverse reactions, they finally let her go about 4pm. She felt pretty good after the ordeal and other than some stomach issues, has not had any bad side effects. So one down, three to go. She will have these infusions every three weeks - four in all. During each session, they check her vitals every half hour and make sure everything is going OK. They also draw blood for testing. But they do not plan to do another scan until the last treatment ends - unless of course she has any physical problems that warrant checking out. We're hoping she gets through all the treatments with little discomfort - but of course, we also hope she has some reaction, so we know it's doing something. And we know it will. Third time's a charm!
So we go onward and upward. Glenna has been keeping up with her exercise, yoga and swimming. She looks great. She and Will and Bob and I are all going up to Dover next Friday to spend a night and take Jacob out to The Dunaway (the restaurant where he works) to celebrate his 21st!!!!! birthday. His b-day is not until Monday, but we'll celebrate while Will is still here and can join in the fun. Jake has a week off from school the week after his b-day and is going to Hawaii to visit Colleen (his girlfriend). And then life goes back to normal. Will, unfortunately will be leaving us to return to hell - but only until August when he comes home for good. THAT will be a happy day. And there will be other happy days ahead - and celebrations will be had - so be prepared to party with us again someday soon.
I hope all of you out there reading this are happy and healthy, and I know you are all sending your love and prayers to Glenna - don't ever stop. I will send out another update after her next treatment. Send your comments - she loves to hear from you all.
Until later, Love from M.K.


7 Comments:
At 10:10 AM,
Andrea said…
Glenna, It was great to talk to you last night and I cant wait to catch up over the next few weeks! Hope you and Will are having a blast together! Keep smiling, hun!
xoxo ~ ange
At 7:51 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Glenna and Fam!!
So happy to read that encouraging blog!! Glenna, you are one heck of a trooper and I'm so happy your Will was home to spend time with you and your family. Are you going to post a pic of Marilyn for all to see? Puppies are the best! I love "puppy breath." ... and sniffing "horse neck" ... I'm sure that one sounds weird to a lot of people but if you love horses you'll know what I mean LOL. Sweetie, we pray for you all the time and miss you and all the Kohl's. Maybe we'll be able to swing by some time this summer...
that would be awesome to see you. Our love to you and the rest of the crew. Stay strong "yoga girl"
hugs and kisses, LB & David
At 1:44 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey, Glenna girl! Greetings from the frigid Great Land!... Sounds like you've been busy with wonderful Will visits and Ms. Marilyn! What fun - how does Patrick feel about the new pup? I imagine he's not thrilled about sharing his digs. Too bad for him, eh? ... We are still having a cold winter, even by Alaska standards. Even here on our beautiful island it's still in the 20's - lots of wind and ice. But it's still beautiful and we're at that time of year when the light comes back fast - we gain five minutes a day - and it's light from about 6:30am till 8:30 or so. Soon it will be light out almost 24/7! You and Will should come and visit us here after he gets back from his tour in hell...We have a whole big comfy upstairs and you'd love it here... I'm heading to Florida in mid-APril to visit my old mom - plus Meredith and my sister Dee are there (Port Orange/Daytona Beach area). My mom has dialysis 3 times a week but is a real trooper about it. She lives in a beautiful assisted living place - has her own small apartment, meals are served in a beautiful dining room - more like a hotel... but nursing staff is always on hand to help out. It really provides a sense of security and peace of mind, while maintaining a sense of independence. Best of all, I'll get to visit Dylan! He starts school at Full Sail on March 28 and is SO psyched! He will get a B.S. degree in just 21 months - ball buster but worth it. He moves into an apartment any day - within walking distance to the college. So he doesn't even need a car. The school is in Winter Park - where it turns out, Gayle R's mom lives! ... I'm busy as usual with daily radio shows, writing and consulting with big fish companies. Steve is still Mr Hardware manager and we are happy happy. We'll be coming to the Cape for three weeks in June and it will be so good to see you all! I love where I live, but it's so damn far from family and friends that I love. Sigh... Tell your mom I've been playing raquetball and maybe we can get in a game while I'm back east! ... I don't know if you can still take the wild salmon fish oil capsules - there is nothing better for hair/skin and your insides! Let me know if you'd like some and I'll send them along...Off I go - this blog is great and please stay in touch! Whenever you feel a gust of cold air, it's my super duper powerful prayer group sending wellness wishes your way. I no longer doubt the power of prayer and I hope you are also seeking some spiritual solace. Love you, GLenna - you are so strong! Laine
At 1:36 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hello Miss Glenna,
Hi from Plymouth! the keane's think about you often. I can't wait to see that puppy.
I miss you.
i'm sending you positive energy each day!!!
Your strength is an inspiration to us all...
At 11:57 AM,
moms said…
thanks for your uplifting update Mother K. Have fun caring for your new pooch, Marilyn, Glenna! You are always in our prayers and much loved. Mrs S, Rosie and The Scandurra Clan :)
At 11:58 AM,
moms said…
thanks for your uplifting update Mother K. Have fun caring for your new pooch, Marilyn, Glenna! You are always in our prayers and much loved. Mrs S, Rosie and The Scandurra Clan :)
At 10:04 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi this is Nina Glenna babysat for me @ cape-cod. Could you do me a favor and just tell her I said "hi"?
Thanks
Post a Comment
<< Home