Glenna's Blog

Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday, December 5

Hello to anyone out there who may still be checking this blog now and then. It's been awhile since I wrote last - and most of you have seen or talked to Glenna since. But for those of you who don't know the latest news, I am here to update you. Sigh! Here goes.......
After spending almost four weeks at home recouperating from her IL2 treatments, Glenna had her first set of scans to see what results they might find. First of all, what they found at 4 weeks was that not only did her tumors not shrink, but in fact, they grew and instead of 4 visable ones, there are now 6. Not good. But worst than that, to backtrack a bit - when she was still in the hospital she was bothered by some headaches-which we assumed was associated with the treatment. But to be sure, they did an MRI on her brain, and it came back with a small "smudge" in the lower right side - which was not conclusively melanoma, but was something to be watched. So jumping ahead again to her scans at 4 weeks, they did another brain MRI along with the full catscan. Later that day we had a consultation with her doctor and the news was not good. He said he would have to discuss the situation with the other surgeons and radiologists as to whether this spot could be biopsied. The outcome was that it would be too risky to do a biopsy at this time and now the next step is to wait a bit to see if this spot grows - and to discuss what options we have regarding radiating it.

In the meantime, we have a meeting this coming Friday with her original surgeon and the radiology doctor to discuss options for her other bodily tumors. They may discuss removing or radiating the two that are very close to the surface of her skin.

Even though we are not 100% sure that there is melanoma in the brain, that issue has to be resolved first before we can go into other means of treatment for the rest of her problems. It's hard to relay this information as it seems so negative, but at the same time, we have been referred to a few excellent doctors who are doing innovative and successful trials on melanoma and we are in the beginning stages of setting these thoughts into motion. One of the options that we have, once the brain situation is figured out, is to go down to Baltimore to the National Cancer Institute. The trails that are coming out of this facility with the specific doctors who have been recommended to us are very positive.

So, for now this is where things stand and I will not be doing daily updates, but I will do my best to relay what decisions we have made and what Glenna will be up against. I can already feel all the prayers and support flying around our house as I write this. That is all you need to do - to send your loving thoughts to us through the atmosphere and it really will help to carry us through these troubled times.

Before I sign off, I cannot say enough about the unbelievable event that took place last Friday. I really can't even begin to say what I am feeling about it. There was too much to comprehend and try to express in this blog - but so many things about that night will stay with us forever and ever. The love, the encouragement, the hope, the strength, the joy, and the knowing that so many people love our Glenna the way we do. It's a life changing feeling and we appreciate all of you who did so much to make it happen.

I have said enought for now. I will be in touch as often as I'm able. Bob, Jake and Glenna send their love. If you are reading this, you are our friend, forever. We love you, The Kohls

4 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glenna and Colleen,

    Thank you for updating this ... while the news at first glance does not seem good, please know that not for one second has any of us doubted the fact that Glenna is one of the people on this earth destined for a miracle. Like suggested on Friday, I am doing my "affirmations" 5x (at least!) a day ... and I've started going back to church. I don't start training for a few weeks, but during the long runs especially, my affirmations will be coming with every foot step.

    See you both soon!

    -Lauren

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glenna, Colleen and all Kohls: We just got back from a two week vacation in FL. Nice, but it was great to get back to the cold and slower pace in AK!...Dylan is coming home for Xmas - a bit of a lost soul at this point. He also was in FL while we were there over turkey day.....I recently watched a program about DeeDee Jonrowe, one of AK's most famous dog mushers. She has recently recovered from a double mastectomy due to breast cancer - but there she was in the Iron Man race in Hawaii!! And just a few weeks after her surgeries a few years ago, she was back in the Iditarod race and placed in the top ten!! Anyway, it made me think of Glenna and to know that strong women can prevail! And medical miracles do happen all the time! I go to a weekly Christian fellowship group and we all pray for Glenna - me all the time! I told the group about how Glenna worked for years as a lifeguard - one woman said, in reference to the experimental treatments that Glenna is now undergoing: "Look how she continues to help people with all that is being learned from her." It is so true....I hope you all are getting some spiritual guidance on this for added strength and closeness. I don't mean "religion" - just reaching out for some peace of mind and help from a higher power...I'll be in touch again soon. You are loved and we'll see you soon at the beach! Laine P.S. I would love to hear more about that December celebration you had. Tell more!

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glenna. You stay in our thoughts and prayers. ALthought we've never met, I feel thatI know you already from the talks we've had. My family includes you in their daily prayers; and will continue to do so.

    YAY GOD.
    Angie in Houston

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RCG&J,
    That expression, "it goes without saying" is often true but not here, not now. More than ever you all need to actually read and hear the affirmations of love and hope from those who hold you dear. This is all we can do, and we are fervent in this mission. We are with you in Boston today, and every day forward. Don't worry, instead have faith that all will be well again.
    We love you - BBK&R

     

Post a Comment

<< Home