Glenna's word is carried on
Hello friends, It's been awhile since I've blogged. I wanted to let all of you, who don't already know, that Glenna's Story has been published in the October issue of Cosmopolitan. It was done with much research and written extremely well, although it is oh so difficult for us who knew her well, to read. But as hard as it is to read this story, we are so glad that the word is out there in a publication like Cosmo - a national magazine known for readers who do just about anything to "look good". We're hoping that in reading Glenna's story, it will make an affect on at least a few people to stop and think about what they're doing. Cosmo is really behind the efforts to pass the tanning bill legislation - and may do a follow-up once the word is out on the final vote.
Plans continue at a rapid pace for the masquerade ball. We have sold a good amount of tickets, but need to sell more. The other thing we are in desperate need of are liquor sponsors/donators. We are hoping to be able to give away a signature cocktail (using vodka) for the first couple of hours of the evening; and would love to offer free beer and wine as long as possible. If any of you out there reading this know of any distributors or businesses who would be willing to help us out with these needs, PLEASE contact them and if they need our official information, let me know and I would be happy to send it their way. Thank you for any help you can find.
Just a quick update on our little Marilyn. She is doing extremely well - just about normal. I think the whole ordeal slowed her down a bit, but other than that, she is our little Mary again. Thanks to Glenna for saving her!
Our official invitations will be sent out soon (mostly by email, but some hard mailings). If you know anyone who would like an invitation that I may not know of, please forward their email or mailing address to me.
Thank you all for your continued support,
Love, MK
Plans continue at a rapid pace for the masquerade ball. We have sold a good amount of tickets, but need to sell more. The other thing we are in desperate need of are liquor sponsors/donators. We are hoping to be able to give away a signature cocktail (using vodka) for the first couple of hours of the evening; and would love to offer free beer and wine as long as possible. If any of you out there reading this know of any distributors or businesses who would be willing to help us out with these needs, PLEASE contact them and if they need our official information, let me know and I would be happy to send it their way. Thank you for any help you can find.
Just a quick update on our little Marilyn. She is doing extremely well - just about normal. I think the whole ordeal slowed her down a bit, but other than that, she is our little Mary again. Thanks to Glenna for saving her!
Our official invitations will be sent out soon (mostly by email, but some hard mailings). If you know anyone who would like an invitation that I may not know of, please forward their email or mailing address to me.
Thank you all for your continued support,
Love, MK


13 Comments:
At 8:55 PM,
Anonymous said…
WOW!!! That is fantastic news about the Cosmo article!! If only a few readers (or even 1) "get it" it will be such a blessing for all of you. It's so amazing to me... all that your family is doing. Everyone's in my prayers (always) and whenever I see anyone tanning I can't help but tell them about Glenna!! I'm positive that all you are doing will have a lasting effect on many! Blessings, LB xoxox
At 8:57 PM,
Anonymous said…
... on ya, soooo glad to hear Mary is back to her adorable self!
At 8:57 PM,
Anonymous said…
... on ya, soooo glad to hear Mary is back to her adorable self!
At 1:58 PM,
Anonymous said…
My co-worker just came into work and handed me the cosmo magazine. I wasn't quite sure why she was handing me a cosmo at work! When she told me why, my eyes filled up with tears. You guys did it! Her story is out there. I had to go and sit in my car to read the full article. It was amazing. Girls across the country will be reading all about Glenna, it's so great.
Also, do you need any more items for the auction? I've been doing a little photography on the side and would donate some pieces if you need. Feel free to email me- Mishele22@hotmail.com
~Michele McKinnon
At 11:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
I was deeply touched by the article on Glenna. As a Melanoma patient myself who was diagnosed in 2006 and treated at Moffit Cancer Hospital in Tampa Florida, and since then has gone through over 50 additional removals; I could not help but to read the article over and over, and post the information on the article to my Facebook page. I am also trying to raise awareness and give people, especially younger people another option for tanning. With scars covering my body, I am a walking billboard on what the effects of tanning can become; and sadly, people do not realize that there are deadly forms of skin cancer. I have been working closely with some of the leading dermatologist, and others to promote anti tanning campaigns, and offer safe alternatives. We are very impressed by your will to continue Glenna’s fight, that we salute you!!
Regards,
Andrea & Chris Bernath, Founders
www.ArtesianTan.com
www.KahunaBaySprayTan.com
At 1:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
I am a caregiver to a Stage 3C melanoma patient and I just wanted to tell you how fantastic I thought this article was. It was literally the first article I have read that didn't make me feel like they weren't telling the whole story. I posted to the MPIP melanoma board and was told your daughter had a page here. THANK you for sharing her story...I am making sure every young person I know reads this article. The fact it was in Cosmo means perhaps they will pay more attention to it...I hope.
At 2:15 PM,
Babs said…
I'm overcome reading these last two comments. We know we're on the right path when receiving thanks and encouragement from "six degrees of separation." Thank you for sharing your time and hearts with all of us! Filled with hope, Barbara
At 2:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
I was so impressed with the article in Cosmo. I had almost given up hope that they would publish a story of this nature before summer's end. I was so impressed by Glenna's fight and even more impressed by the fact that she used her situation to educate others on the dangers of melanoma. I was diagnosed with melanoma this February 6 weeks after I was married. I remember thinking that just when I had found the person that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with it could be cut short. Fortunately for me all of my lymph nodes came back clear and I have another chance to be healthy. All of my friends have since stopped tanning and have gone for yearly skin checks but this is nothing to the millions of women who are being touched by Glenna's story.
At 9:47 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hello everyone,
I just read the October issue of Cosmopolitan and I found myself reading the article about Glenna over and over again. It had me glued to the pages because I do strive for that tanned look. Im naturally fairly light skinned so like many girls my age, I frequent tanning beds. I've always had that little worry in the back of my head that I may get cancer from my actions but I still did it. After reading that article and seeing how similar Glenna was to myself, it pushed me to stop tanning. I've thrown away my tanning lotion and affiliation I have with a tanning salon. Thank you for sharing Glenna's story with all of us. She is truly inspiring.
At 11:15 PM,
Anonymous said…
Amazing. Glenna would be so proud :)
At 8:36 PM,
Anonymous said…
WOW... this is huge. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Lord!
At 1:15 AM,
brandi weber said…
I am a hairstylist and as i was working today i glanced down to see what my client was reading my eyes immediately caught the name of the article and as i read it i got goose bumps!! then seeing the pic of glenna was all to familar to me...i asked my client to read it a bit and i said does she have melanoma..even though i new the answer before i asked!!!
august 13 2007 i was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma at age 25. i had surgery the following week to remove the tumor which was on my stomach near my belly button and to biopsy 3 nodes from my groin area... a week and a half later i got the news that it had in fact spread to my lymphnodes and less than a week later i was having my second surgery to remove all the lymphnodes in my groin area. in the article it said that she had 13 nodes removed i believe i add 18 removed. then after 8 days in the hospital on complete bedrest and drainage tubes coming out of both of my thighs i wont home to recover for another 3 weeks....then i started chemo i also did interferon i went thru the high dose interferon thru a iv five days a week for the first 4 weeks just like glenna and then for the next 3 months i recieved shots 3 times a week. my shots were to continue for a year also but 3 months into it the week of christmas i developed a one in a million reaction to it. first the dr thought that my cancer had spread to my brain because of the way i was acting then after many scans and test and mris they found no cancer anywhere in my body and decided that they would stop the interferon because of the result it was having on my brain................that was 2 years ago and i am happy to say i am completely recovered and cancer free. glenna story was all to familar and definetly brought tears to my eyes fortunately for me even though i was stage 3 they caught it in time. like glenna i to was a sun worshiper i would wear spf but i would always have a tan...traveling at least 3-4 times a year to every warm and tropical place i could and maintaining my tan inbetween vacations in the tanning beds. who would ever think a completely healthy 25 yr old would be diagnosed with melanoma. not me everytime i went to the tanning place the very last thing i would read before i layed in the bed was "may cause melanoma" who ever thought it would actually happen..not me!! until aug 13 2007 when my entire life changed!!!!glenna seemed like a incredibly strong girl and i give her props for fighting cancer head on!!! i think it is wonderful that friends and family of her are going to continue the work that she started in the effort to spread the awareness of melanoma!!
At 7:32 AM,
Anonymous said…
You'r very brave, and went through so much, reading what had happened to you and how you can get cancer how changed me alot, and how much im in the sun,Im am going to help spread you word, cause your changing people life, you sure did change mine. thank you :)
Post a Comment
<< Home